Sunday 5 May 2013

Guilty Pleasures To Watch When Down With Man-Flu

As you may have read on my Facebook and Twitter feeds, I am currently nursing a cold. It's not the end of the world I know, but I rarely get them and when I do, they tend to be real bad. Not serious influenza bad but I tend to be the poster child for man-flu. What does this mean for me and the people who live with me? I become rather useless (apart from the bit where I'm still making dinner. Pardon the germs, but you asked for it!) and lifeless that it is a stretch for me just to give a reply if my mum asks me something. To get over the illness, I usually rely on a controversial-veering-towards-unhealthy cocktail of decongestants, echinacea and paracetamols, lots of water, and some great silver screen classics and TV gems. Nothing gives me more lift during these dark times than a light-hearted, genuinely campy feature that guarantees to tickle all that mucus away. And with that, let me share with you my top guilty pleasures that should get you right up and feeling better already. I know it works for me, so why not try it for yourself (try and catch the cold first maybe?) Here we go!


Australia's Next Top Model AND America's Next Top Model- there is nothing more HILARIOUS than watching back-to-back episodes of these two shows. On the one hand you have the Aussies getting down to business and churning veritable modelling stars with legitimate prizes (hello Vogue covers!) and career prospects (check out winners Alice Burdeu and Montana Cox)- and on the other, you have a severely twisted egomaniac torturing girls who will never have a serious shot at a working career outside Los Angeles. Tyra Banks, you light up my life. Now the OZs aren't all that stiff-lipped. They mess up too and when they did, they fucked up majorly; by announcing the wrong winner on live TV. GOLD. PRECIOUS GOLD. 


Romy and Michelle's High School Reunion- perhaps my favourite 90's chickflick of all-time, nobody serves BFF realness than the bombastic duo of Mira Sorvino and Lisa Kudrow. Romy and Michele's aim to impress at their ten-year high school reunion doesn't veer far from how I think mine will go down- except they already invented, inventing Post-Its. Armed with some truly hilarious one-liners, flashy fashions and one epic dance routine, this film will definitely lift your spirits and leave you snapping those fingers and singing loudly to Footloose, oh-kaaay?



Modern Family- Re-watching the first two seasons never gets boring for me- kinda like the way Friends is. You can put this series on loop, and instead of grating on you, the perfectly meshed comedic timings of the show's parents (Ed O'Neill, Julie Bowen, Sofia Vergara, Ty Burell, the fabulous Eric Stonestreet and Jessie Tyler Ferguson) only get better with age. The kids are also funny, especially grown-up Lily from seasons 3-4 who has been gifted with enough sass to steal the spotlight from the show's top divas. Can't really name a favourite episode as there are way too many to mention, but definitely give it a a go and revel in this genius piece of comedy.


Gentlemen Prefer Blondes- Marilyn at her best is untouchable. For me, this is her defining moment and most memorable for sure. However, with all due respect to her royal bombshell-ness, I always look forward to Jane Russell's quick comedic quips and fabulous performance. In fact, I think she actually out-sexes Marilyn on this one! The musical numbers are also always a joy to watch from start to finish. It's light and frothy and witty, and one that I keep going back to- not only when I'm poorly but whenever I feel like Sylvia Plath. Also, who doesn't love Diamonds are a Girl's Best Friend?  


Ru Paul's Drag Race- speaking of not fucking things up (ahem OZNTM!), this is the one advice the mother of all drag RuPaul asks of her girls. Doesn't seem like a tall order...until wigs start flying, shade gets thrown everywhere, drag-queen meltdowns over abandoned childhoods, and having to lip-synch for their lives! To put things in perspective, they have $100,000 on the line, along with a lifetime supply of cosmetics and Absolut Vodka. Now for queens around the world, that's your meat and potatoes right there, so really when you're watching two plus-size queens performing jumping splits and ripping wigs apart, you know this shit is real- and it is pure campy pleasure. However, I will say that for professional queens, none of them seem to know that one should always wear waterproof mascara on elimination day! Nevertheless, the cutting tongues of fellow judges Michelle Visage and Santino Rice, more than makes this show worthwhile. Also, some of these queens have come up with THE best names! (i.e., Ongina, Sharon Needles, and Penny Tration among others.) Definitely one for all beauty bloggers out there too. *.*



Friends- I'll Be There FOR YOUUUUUUUUUU! It's like they come to visit you and comfort you when you're sick. Like real friends. 


To Wong Foo, Thanks For Everything, Julie Newmar- This film is definitely my ULTIMATE, let's-get-me-right-up film of all time. This is manna from Hollywood heaven. Untouchable. Absolutely epic! When you have a movie with Blade, Baby's dancer boyfriend and Tybalt in one movie, IN DRAG, you have to watch it. The story is beautifully predictable (they go on a roadtrip and get stuck in middle-America, while along the way finding their own respective queen-ness) but nonetheless, it is a delight to watch. Watch out for some high-profile cameos as well. This can easily rival Zoolander for the best Where's Waldo of celebs. But seriously, there is nothing more delightful than watching a film that has it all; a coming of age story, make-up tutorials, an NCIS-esque thrilling subplot mixed with fabulous fashion montage, and  WESLEY SNIPES IN FULL DRAG. WHAT MORE CAN ONE ASK FOR?!

Hope you are having a much better bank holiday weekend than I am! To those who may be sharing my plight, enjoy my remedy. It's failsafe and guaranteed to fix you right up :)

Photobucket



Oh what am I saying. I watch these ALL THE TIME.

No comments:

Post a Comment