Friday 8 November 2013

Les Nudes: Chic in a Bottle



Call this the anti-nail revolution. In a time when everyone seems to go gaga over twinkles and spangly nail adornments, I for one, revel in the simple chic factor of the nude polish. It just seems to cleanse the palette y'know? And though I have nothing against nail-art and the DIY bells and whistles, I do believe that when all is said and done- a well manicured set of nude talons will remain timeless, effortless, and more importantly- FLATTERING. In varying times of the year, these colours remain in rotation (including my favourite dubonnet shades of wine and slick navy hues- I guess you can say I like my primary-ish varnishes...) and why not? Think about it. Not only does a well painted nude varnish make your fingers look slimline like delicate tapered candlesticks (trust me, in Filipino culture- that is the pinnacle of elegance), but it also sets off just about every outfit. It just goes with everything. Plus- it doesn't have to stay beige! There are so many wonderful nude shades out there to choose from to suit all skin tones. In fact, let me give you my favourite ones to date. These varnishes have all been tried and tested (and as soon as I finish the bottles- trust me, with these colours, I do- they will be repurchased, wholeheartedly.)

Liz Earle Strengthening Nail Colour in Quicksand- my current favourite 'flesh-tone' nude, and the most recent of the lot. Liz Earle's new nail colour range definitely does impress- with a beautiful, non-streaky formula (I swear, it evens out on its own!), fast drying to a beautiful sheen and a long lasting quality. The beauty of the collection is that it features classically chic colours, both fashionable and practical. This colour in particular is a standout for being ultra-flattering. 

Yves Saint Laurent No.22 Beige Leger- the first of the two YSL standouts, Beige Leger came out in the A/W13 collection along with the two other beiges. This one has a touch of pink to it, which, if you have a fair complexion- would be a fabulous equivalent to what Quicksand does for my tan. It's a soft, muted shell colour that gives enough throwback 60s vibes but also a current quality to it.

Essie Nail Polish in Chinchilly- BEAUTIFUL. This colour has to be the prettiest slate gray shade EVER. Essie never ceases to impress, and this colour is one I shall be keeping in my arsenal for the long run. Perfect for the autumn, it gives the nails a city-living edge- perfect for those who trek the concrete jungles everyday. I mean, those who choose to wear grey, choose to go chic. 

Chanel Le Vernis 505 Particulière- Probably my favourite shade from Chanel (and isn't the colour just so? C'est tout!), Particulière is a lovely minky taupe colour, the darkest of the crop, and provides for a nice change. Yes its in the beiges but its deeper colour offers a great alternative for those looking for a clean polished look but beyond the ivories and the pinks. Also, the idea of sporting rich beige talons is just so Chanel no? However, a note to the wise- make sure to team this one up with a STRONG topcoat (I recomment Dior's Gel Top Coat.) Chanel polishes are notorious for chipping easily. 

Yves Saint Laurent No. 39 Beige Gallery- My favourite shade of greige. If I had to choose, I prefer this one over Beige Leger just because it's grey hue gives it a bit more edge. It's almost a milky, softer version of Essie's Chinchilly but with a touch more cream. I do applaud YSL for keeping these colours, this one especially(!), permanent because nothing gets me going like a madman than brands discontinuing potential and already-cult faves. Furthermore, you gotta love the formula too- fast drying, true colour and dense pigments, and strong. 

Lancôme Vernis in Love in 220M Jolis Matins- Last but not the least is Lancôme's saving grace. This is to date, the best nude in the French pink category. It's the perfect shade of pink for a french manicure, but instead of the traditional translucent formulations, Lancome's Jolis Matins is slightly more opaque. The effect is then giving your nails a good base colour that's just a better version of your actual nail colour- especially when they're looking a little yellow after constant polish wear. I do prefer to paint a layer of mattifying topcoat in between coats to make sure it doesn't streak, but if you want to just go for one coat, it gives a nice effortless finish. Like freshly buffed seashells. This formulation is also near chip-resistant, or at least so far for me. I don't really use alot of Lancôme's products but this polish I would buy plenty times over.

What is your favourite nude nail colour?

Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment